Eggplant Lasagna with Roasted Garlic & Basil Ricotta
October is National Vegetarian Month! In honor of my fellow vegetarian friends, I have come up with a delicious and easy eggplant lasagna. The tomato sauce and ricotta give the lasagna a rich creaminess and the eggplant is filling. This may also be made using a dairy free cheese, such as Daiya Vegan cheese.
What you will need:
- 2 Medium size eggplants. I used 3 small ones and I had leftover eggplant to use another time.
- 1 whole head of garlic, to roast
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- parmesan cheese
- mozzarella (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Roast Garlic: See this website for instructions
- Slice eggplant in 1/2 inch slices
- Place eggplant on baking sheet and top with EVOO, salt, pepper, onion powder, thyme and oregano
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, Let cool
- While eggplant is in oven, get the cheese sauce together
- Mix 1 cup of Ricotta cheese with 1 egg, roasted garlic and chopped basil
- Pour a small amount of marinara sauce to cover casserole dish
- Start layering in this order: eggplant down, cheese on top
- Once you are finished layering; pour remaining marinara sauce on top
- Top with parmesan and mozzarella
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly
Slice and sprinkle with EVOO and seasonings, bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes
Mix cheese, egg, basil and garlic together in a bowl.
Start the layering of the sauce, eggplant, cheese mixture
Yummy finished product
Cheesy goodness… Eggplant is so good for you and full of fiber.